The Texas Insects Most Commonly Submitted for Identification
If you did not find your insect here AND YOU LIVE IN TEXAS, then you can USE THIS LINK TO SUBMIT A TEXAS INSECT IDENTIFICATION REQUEST (to the Texas A&M University Department of Entomology). If you submit a photo on this website then you are granting us permission to use it for educational purposes. (There is no way to submit a digital image for identification directly from the texashighplainsinsects website.)
Insect Answers for Texans. This page features links to pest control information and recent information from Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Personnel that is relevant to homeowners and gardeners.
Highlighted articles, but use this link for many more:
- Multicolored Asian lady beetle invasion (2/24/17)
- Help! Fleas (1/30/17)
- The benefits of cockroach control (1/27/17)
- Multicolored Asian lady beetle rumors and truths (12/16/16)
- Christmas tree aphids (12/14/16)
- Widow spiders (10/28/16)
- Getting tested for Zika (9/19/16)
- New Zika resources for the public (7/14/16)
- West Nile virus risk high in North Texas (7/14/16)
- Thermal fogging for temporary mosquito control (7/1/16)
- Emerald ash borer found in Texas (5/27/16)
- Mosquito season opens in Dallas, and it is different this time (4/16/16)
- Zika Virus: comprehensive information (4/14/16)
- Zika Virus: What Texans need to know (English | Spanish)
- About mothballs (3.18/16)
- Controlling fire ants in sensitive areas (3/18/16)
- New books on bees (3/16/16)
- Do carpet beetles sting? (3/16/16)
- Controlling fire ants in gardens (3/16/16)
- Crane flies, not mosquitoes (3/15/16)
- Bed bugs: Checking your hotel room (3/11/16)
- Zika virus update: science and wild claims (3/11/16)
- Up to the minute information on Zika virus from the Texas A&M University Health Science Center
- Zika virus (2/5/16)
- Lyme disease and ticks in Texas (1/27/16)
- Preparing for Zika virus (12/29/15)
- Kissing bugs and Chagas Disease: What you need to know (12/17/15)
- If you think it is a kissing bug, look here first (12/1/15)
- Recognizing Emerald Ash Borer (10/21/15)
- Chiggers (6/11/15)
- Indianmeal moths in homes (1/9/15)
- Best essential oil products for bed bug control (12/18/14)
- Eight things to know about bed bugs (11/3/14)
- Bed bug control, especially for do-it-yourself.
- Honey bee removal options (7/31/14)
- What to do when honeybees move in (7/11/14)
- Identification and control of brown recluse spiders.
- Flea control in the home.
About This Website:
This website is a service of Extension Entomology, part of the Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service. This website is not intended to provide in-depth information on insects, it is for identification purposes only. Insect control information and contact information for all of Extension Entomology can be found here. Many of the images and blog articles contain external links to more information.
Many of these photos were submitted for identification. We make every effort to retain the name of the photographer and give full credit. However, our database sometimes loses the photographer's name and we would be glad to give photo credit for your image if you let us know which one is yours.